WWW.CPRDIESELROSTER.COM

CP DEMONSTRATORS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Choose a model...

GMD/EMD

Demonstrators

GMDX 70 & 73, EMDX 7102, KCS 2500, EMDX 1605-1606

General Electric

Demonstrators

UP 5695, 5696 & 5697

 

RailPower

Demonstrator

RPRX 5407

 

     

 

National Railway Equipment Demonstrators

NREC 2007, 2009 & 5462

Motive Power International

Demonstrator

MPEx3 244

 

 

EARLIER DEMONSTRATORS & TEST UNITS

Also see the demonstrator section in the CP 7000 series section.

 

 

Roadnumber Model
   
 ALCO 1501 RS-2
Built by ALCO as demonstrator unit #1501. It tested on CP between April 8 and May 31, 1947 and went as far west as Broadview, SK. It carried a multi-coloured ALCO paint scheme without lettering except for the roadnumber #1501. This test eventually resulted in the purchase of 5 RS-2 units in 1949,  which were numbered CP #8400-8404.
   
MAK 1000 MAK-1000
Built by Maschinenbau Kiel of Germany as diesel hydraulic MAK-1000 demonstrator unit. This unit had a 800 Hp. 4-stroke MaK-MA-301A engine with a Voith Hydraulic transmission. It was painted in the CP Maroon & Grey and numbered CP #1000, and tested on CP in 1956. The unit was returned to Germany and none was ever purchased.
   
GMD 1001 GMDH-1
Built by GMD as demonstrator #1001 (12/1956). The unit was painted in GM colours and lettered GM Diesel Ltd. and numbered #1001. It tested on CP between May 30 to August 13, 1957. The unit performed unsatisfactory and was returned to GMD. It eventually ended up as a plant switcher at GMD, London ON.
Extra photos : GMD 1001 (2nd)
   
CN 1257 SW1200RS
Built by GMD as Canadian National #1257 (1956). This unit tested on CP in the Winnipeg area between April 12 and 20, 1957. The test resulted in the first order of 31 units, which became CP #8100-8130.
   
UP 2903 & 2904 C-630
Built by ALCO as Union Pacific #2903 and #2904 (1966). These units were on loan from UP and tested on CP between May 20 and June 3, 1966. The test resulted in the purchase of 8 MLW-built C-630 units, which became CP #4500-4507.
   
CN 2518 M-420
Built by MLW as CN #2518 (1973). This unit was on loan from CN and tested on the CP North Bay Sub in October 1973. This unit was equipped with the new MLW "zero-weight-transfer B truck". The unit was returned to CN and none was ever purchased. CN renumbered it to #3518 (1987) following a reduction of sand and fuel capacity which lowered the weight of these units from 260,000 to 248,000 lbs. It was retired by CN (1997) and sold to Southern Manitoba Railway.
   
CN 4002 GP40
Built by GMD as Canadian National #4002 (1966). This unit was on loan from CN and tested on the CP North Bay Sub in October 1973. This unit was equipped with a CN designed wheel-slip control system. The unit was returned to CN. The unit was renumbered to CN #9302 (1981). Retired (1988). Sold to Railcar Ltd. and renumbered to RMGX #9302.
   
C&O 4173 GP40-2
Built by EMD as Chesapeake & Ohio #4173 (1972). This unit was on loan from C&O and tested on the CP Chalk River Sub in October 1973. This unit was equipped with a GM designed wheel-slip control system. The unit was returned to C&O.
   
MK 5001 MK TE50-4S
Rebuilt by MK from Union Pacific GP9R #278 (7/1979). It ran on a scheduled CP freight train between Montreal, QC. and St. John, NB. on July 7, 1980. The unit was rebuilt in 1979 with a Sulzer turbocharged 6 cylinder engine generating 1,500 Hp. None was ever purchased by CP.
   
C&O 8560 & 8566 SD50
Built by EMD as Chesapeake & Ohio #8560 and #8566 (1984). These units were on loan from C&O and tested on CP for evaluation tests in early 1984. CP however continued to purchase SD40-2 units, receiving the last batch of these popular units in December 1984, numbered CP #6055-6069.
   
CP 4711 M-636
Built by MLW as CP #4711 (3/1970). It was rebuilt with a Caterpillar 3608 engine at Peaker Services in Brighton, Michigan (5/1988). The purpose of this retrofit was an attempt to prolong the lifespan of the aging M-636 fleet. The unit returned to CP on June 6, 1988 and it's performance was evaluated in a series of tests in the summer of 1988. The experiment was considered to be too expensive and no more were converted. It was sold to Minnesota Commercial in June 1998 and renumbered to MNNR #71.
   
CP 6618 S-11
Built by MLW as CP #6618 (6/1959). It was retired by CP in 1983 and stored in Winnipeg, MB. It was moved to Angus Shops in Montreal, QC (1/1989) for rebuilding into a control car for use on coaltrains. Nothing came of this project and it was scrapped after closure of Angus Shops on January 31, 1992.
   
UP 9409, 9413 & 9416 C40-8W
Built by GE as Union Pacific #9409, #9413 and #9416 (1990). These units tested on CP between February 11 and March 23, 1991. The units ran as a three unit set on a variety of trains across the CP system. The units were returned to UP on March 23, 1991.
   
MPI 9018, 9019 & 9020 SD40-2M
Rebuilt by Motive Power International (MPI) from Southern Pacific SD45s as MPI #9018-9020.  The units participated in a test on the M&O subdivision at Rigaud QC, between June 17 and 24, 1991. These units were tested in a consist with CP SD40 #5545 (equipped with Q-Tron for increased tractive effort) and #6048 (equipped with PTC).
   
SOO 4301 GP30C
Rebuilt by Generation II Locomotives from ex-Union Pacific GP30 #828. It was retrofitted with a Caterpillar Model 3516 2,000 Hp. engine in 1990 and relettered to SOO #4301. It was evaluated in a week of tests in August 1991 at Alyth Shops, Calgary AB.
   
BCOL 4612 & 4617 Dash 8-40CM
Built by GE (4/1990). These two units were on loan from BCR and used with UP #9432 and #9434 (see below) in 1992 for a comparative tests between Dash-8's and CP's PTC equipped SD40-2 units. CP supplied BCR with SD40-2's #6004, 6014 and #6021.
   
UP 9432 & 9434 C40-8W
Built by GE (1990). These two units were on loan from UP and used with BCOL #4612 and #4617 (see above) in 1992 for a three month test period for comparative tests between dash-8's and CP's PTC equipped SD40-2 units. Most of the tests were carried out on 112 car coaltrains with BCOL #4617 and UP #9434 on the head-end and BCOL #4612 and UP #9432 mid-train. The two BC Rail units were returned after one month's testing, while both UP units continued for the rest of the three month period.
   
BN 9500 & 9503 SD60MAC
Built by EMD as demonstrators #9500 and #9503 (1991-1992). They were lettered for Burlington Northern (however owned by EMD). Both units were tested by CP in July 1993 on a grain train between Moose Jaw, SK., and Coquitlam, B.C., and return. After this run, #9500 was returned to BN while #9503 went east for adhesion tests on the M&O subdivision at Rigaud, QC., on August 5 and 6, 1993.
   
BN 9502 (BN 9500 & 9503) SD60MAC
Built by EMD as demonstrator #9502 (1992). It was lettered for Burlington Northern (however owned by EMD). This unit was tested with sisters #9500 & #9503 (both having tested earlier on CP, see above) on a 126 car train west to Vancouver, B.C. The consist had CP SD40-2F #9000, Mechanical Test Car #65, and BN #9500 and #9502 on the head end, and CP SD40-2 #6073 and BN #9503 as remote units. With the two CP units isolated, the three BN units powered the 17,000 ton train. When the consist arrived in Vancouver, the three units were returned to BN in New Westminster, B.C.
   
UP 8026, 8072 & 8075 SD90MAC
Built by EMD (1995). These three units were on loan from UP in early 1997. In return, CP sent AC4400CW's #9515, 9529 and 9551 to UP. This test eventually resulted in the purchase of 61 SD90MAC units in late 1997, which were to be numbered #9100-9160, and to be delivered in 1998.
   
BLW 1501 MP1500D
Rebuilt by Boise Locomotive Works as BLW MP1500D #1501. This unit was on loan together with BLW MP2000D #2001 (see below) for demonstration tests in Calgary AB. in March and April, 1998.
   
BLW 2001 MP2000D
Rebuilt by Boise Locomotive Works as BLW MP2000D #2001. This unit was on loan together with BLW MP1500D #1501 (see above) for demonstration tests in Calgary AB. in March and April, 1998.
   

UP 9144, 9151, 9162 & 9215

C40-8
These four UP C40-8 units were loaned to CP in February and March, 2001 for testing.
   
CEFX 1506 & 1509 GP15D
Rebuilt by Motive Power International in Boise, Idaho (2001) with Caterpillar engines and became CEFX GP15D #1506 and #1509. These units were leased to CP for evaluation tests in the St. Paul, MN. service area in May and June, 2002. The lease was terminated in July, 2002.
   
CEFX 2005 & 2006 GP20D
Rebuilt by Motive Power International in Boise, Idaho (2001) with Caterpillar engines and became CEFX GP20D #2005 and #2006. These units were leased to CP for evaluation tests in the St. Paul, MN. service area in May and June, 2002. The lease was terminated in July, 2002.
   
BNSF 9337 & 9385 SD70ACe
Built by EMD (2006). Testing on CP around the Winnipeg, MB. area. Made a run to Port Coquitlam, B.C. and return (3/2007). Continue to test around Winnipeg as of late March, 2008.

The latest demonstrator units on CP are listed in seperate pages, see top of this page. Also see the demonstrator section in the CP 7000 series page.

 

 

 

2017 Wilco van Schoonhoven