CP 1683 AT WINNIPEG, MB.
Built by : GMD
Built in : 1950 as TH&B 73
Serial Number : A 119
Class : DS-17
Paint Scheme : CP Rail no-Multimark
This Photo : A. Ross Harrison, 2008
Other Photos (chronological) :
1. TH&B 73 at Hamilton, ON., painted in the TH&B Maroon/Cream paint scheme. Photographer unknown, 1986. From the Bill Sanderson collection;
2. CP 1683 at Lachine, QC., painted in the CP Rail no-Multimark paint scheme. Photo by Bill Sanderson, 1993;
3. CP 1683 at Winnipeg, MB., painted in the CP Rail no-Multimark paint scheme. Photo by A. Ross Harrison, 2008;
4. CP 1683 at Winnipeg, MB., painted in the CP no-Multimark paint scheme. Photo by A. Ross Harrison, 2010.
Paint Data : CP Rail no-Multimark
Notes : Built by GMD as TH&B GP7 #73 (1950), acquired by CP, rebuilt with a 1,750 Hp. 16-567C engine block, chop-nosed and renumbered to #1683 (1987). Unit has no dynamic brakes. Equipped with CANAC remote control 'beltpack' equipment. Declared surplus (5/20/2015).
* : Originally built as a GP7, this unit received a 1,750 Hp.16-567C engine replacing the original 1,500 Hp. 16-567B engine when overhauled and renumbered to #1683, technically making it a GP9u unit. CP retains the GP7u designation for the ex-TH&B units numbered in the #1682-1687 group.